Hey guys! I’m having an amazing time here in Slovenia, enjoying every second with my son and dogs! I have been trying to get back to cooking and blogging ever since David’s birth, but to be honest, I don’t want to miss a single thing he learns and discovers. I really hope you can bear with me, and keep coming back! I plan to get back to blogging eventually, since he will be going to kindergarten at the end of the year. Until then, make sure to subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss a recipe! And I promise to soon publish a freebie cookbook!
So let me tell you a story about this super awesome and simple dinner recipe. I was shopping and noticed a cute basket of fresh chanterelles, which I simply adore. I was visiting my mum and grandma that day and really wanted to cook, while they watched over David. I don’t know how I got the idea, but luckily mum had everything I needed to make a wholewheat pie dough, filled with fresh made (and sooo easy!!) vegan cream cheese and flavourful chanterelles. I even got some fresh thyme from the garden!
I loved it so much I made it again the next day, this time even taking some photos to share with you guys. I discovered two things. Wholewheat dough will not get that beautiful golden baked look (how didn’t I know this before?) and two – cooking while a 7 months old baby cries for your attention every few minutes isn’t easy. But even with distraction, I managed to whip a healthy dinner together and it looked and tasted amazing. Feel free to change the mushrooms for what’s available. I can’t wait to try this recipe with some shiitake!
- 280g (2 cups) wholemeal flour
- 80 g (1/2 cup) vegan butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup cold water
- Vegan Cream Cheese:
- 1 cup cahews - soaked
- juice of one lemon
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven top 190°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Soak the cashew nuts in warm water.
- Make the dough in a larger bowl. Mix together flour and salt. Add butter and using a fork mix well to get crumbs. Add water and using hand knead the dough. Wrap in plastic foil and put in fridge.
- To make the cream cheese you will need a blender or a good food processor. Put all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Add more water to thin the sauce, if necessary.
- Clean and cut the mushrooms to bite size pieces. Chop the mushrooms and mince the garlic. In a larger pan heat up olive oil and sauté the onion for a few minutes until slightly brown. Add minced garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Fry for 2 - 3 minutes and set aside.
- Roll out the dough in a circle, about 0,5 cm thick. Mix together the cheese and the mushrooms, and spread it evenly in the middle of the dough to about 2 cm from the edge. Fold over the edges and bake for 25 - 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Your’s truly, A.